Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a very common autoimmune disorder. Patients affected by RA show a chronic systemic inflammation that can determine both articular and bone injuries as well as a progressive functional disability, with an important impact on quality of life, social and economic aspects. The discovery of safe natural products for the RA treatment is needed also because drugs long-term use can cause severe side effects.
In this context, the aims of this project are:
- to evaluate and characterize the effect of phyto-preparations, composed by a mixture of propolis and P. granatum fruits collected in Southern Italy regions, against a model of RA induced in mice by collagen injection.
- to characterize the in vivo mechanism of action of the combination by analyzing the levels of different cytokines involved in Collagen Induced Arthritis;
- to study the bioactivity of this mixture in 2D and 3D cellular models, to evaluate its efficiency as anti-inflammatory agent and identify its putative molecular targets;
- to provide the quali-quantitative chemical characterization of the phyto-preparation used in the biological assays;
- to provide scientific evidences supporting the conservation and sustainable use of traditional knowledge from the internal areas of Italian regions.